Saturday, April 14, 2012

of requests and remembrances

You approach me with a twinkle in your eye, smile on the ready. First time in a while you've talked to me. Lately, it's just been 'What's up?' or an eyebrow raise (or eyebrow raises) when we happen to pass each other or when I happen to be looking while you're passing through. Tough luck. We can't just go on doing that everytime you pass through and I see you because you are such a life of the party that you would be doing that ten or more times within an 8-hour duration.

Much as I'd like to strike up a conversation, I don't belong to your crowd and I don't make small talk with you when you're in your crazy/funny kind of mood, which I'm finding out lately is almost every hour of every shift. I don't know how to deal with you when you're that way. I am a serious gal with a serious outlook in life. I take things that happen seriously and respond to them with an earnestness reminiscent of law-abiders of old. (Of course, an exception to everything is when I'm with my closest friends.) And the times that we've talked when I sort of initiated the topics, you level yourself with my degree of seriousness which I've realized lately is not your usual. So yes, I don't really know you. And yes, you're kinda leagues away.

So why the sudden cheeriness? A favor. I see. Of course, I would use the same tactics when I need to do that same thing. But with your maturity and probably more pessimist view of life, you think everything can be manipulated. You were even surprised at my agreeing to your request without so much as a bribe. I don't operate on those grounds. I do things out of my innate goodness. And with you continuing to be incredulous that I would consent almost readily, I came up with something then in exchange for what you were asking - something only I would be interested in - but I opted to voice another thought instead. No shit. It would have been the perfect opportunity to gauge how I feel towards you. But no, it was a crazy thought. Will never voice it, at least not to you.

Much as I would like to say that I made this decision because I'm overall a good person, I can't help thinking that had it been someone else making the request, I might not have given in so easily. I may even have thought of something to render me incapable of acquiescing to the request. But even then when I was processing a call, I had half a mind to think about what you were asking and proposing so that not five minutes later, you've secured my agreement. (It helped that I convinced myself that I'm doing this for my own activities too this coming weekend. And that this will be a springboard for a favor I might ask of you in the near future when I would need a backup plan.) Hooray for you.

I thought afterwards that my doing this (heck, I did need a lot of convincing) would be in return for a favor you did for me back in March last year when I was going to watch the Stone Temple Pilots concert and they were having it on a Wednesday. Convenient for me  that you periodically swap to have weekend rest days. And that's how I was able to match a name to your person, which had in fact intrigued me for a while already. For in anticipation of the approval of the other swap requested of me, I was periodically checking the announcements (the darn thing never appeared!) and so I've come to memorize your name, it with the very Christian bent attached to a personality less more so. Of course, you wouldn't remember it. I've somehow realized that guys don't remember the things that girls attach sentimental values to, like the clothes one wore that day, the date something  significant (to her) happened or the circumstances that brought about certain situations. I had to remind you that first day we officially  made acquaintance that I knew your nickname by way of that incident. And after that telling acquaintance, it gave a bigger reason to my having the means to find out something about you on the world's favorite website which was your name. Good thing your TL was already my contact then (he who I'd forever like not least for his suave voice and accomodating nature but also for continuing to call me by my full second given name even if it's been everywhere shortened to just the last two syllables).

Woah was the word. It was like something struck me deep in my soul when I saw those pictures. Like something became electrifyingly clear. It was you.



I was just randomly queuing songs from the 90s on my playlist to accompany me as I type this, and then this played. And it was like, I was hearing it for the very first time. And THIS. FREAKING. NAILED. THE. SHIT. I don't try to use words I don't really claim I understand in the empirical sense, but then this...

The video is itself formulaic and lacking the earnestness in Brendan's whiny voice but the words are pretty spot on.




And so for one little while on a Thursday night, in the 22nd floor of a busy office, I once again felt what it was like to be the object of your attention.

Snared as I ever am, I wonder again how long am I gonna be writing these stories of mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...