Tuesday, February 21, 2012

beauty and selflessnes in a song

Ever since I watched Glee's Mercedes Jones rendering a wonderful version of Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You last Friday, I haven't been able to get the song out of my mind. I'm familiar with this as a difficult birit song for talented singers but beyond that and the movie The Bodyguard, I wasn't fond of it at all.  I also never had someone influence me to like Whitney, so I wasn't a fan. (Though it still is a bit unnerving that the famous people you knew while you were still young and who ought to still be there as you grow older are leaving earth earlier than they should be. Whitney is still pretty young at 48. So was MJ. They both had more to offer.)




So when I saw the video from Glee, it immediately had my full attention since it wasn't only flaunting the actress' (who plays Mercedes) singing chops but also there was a love angle that was not the usual (and which I wasn't expecting) but nevertheless, it's one of the elements of a good love story (at least for moi, since I'm a sucker for romance, and well, there's just certain twists or situations that resonate strongly with me). And the whole time I was marveling at the simplicity and beauty of the lyrics.

When you love someone unconditionally, you would do what's best for that person.

If I should stay
I would only be in your way.
So I'll go, but I know 
 I'll think of you every step of the way

But still, you will never stop loving that person.

And I will always love you
I will always love you
You, my darling you, Hmm

So you're saying goodbye because it's for the best.

Bittersweet memories 
that is all I'm taking with me
So, goodbye. Please, don't cry
We both know I'm not what you, you need

And I will always love you
I will always love you

And when she got to this next part, I felt that this song was so beautiful and so right. For me at least, this would be the song I'd be singing right now for a certain someone, in particular this last verse. It's so selfless to say that:

I hope life treats you kind 
And I hope you have all you've dreamed of
And I wish to you, joy and happiness
But above all this, I wish you love


Imagine loving someone so much that you couldn't get enough of that person, but since things are not meant to be, you willingly let go of him. And you also wish that person all that you would wish for him if you were together. That's genuine love. Sorry if I seem too naive or idealistic with all these love words I couldn't find synonyms for right now. But this simple thing is very powerful and very beautiful for me. Sacrifices are not easy to make but they are needed. To sacrifice for someone else is even more admirable. We naturally gravitate towards the things we like or want to have but to deliberately wean one's self away from that which gives you the greatestt happiness, that is just too hard to bear. But it's a difficulty one must suffer for you are thinking of that other's best interests. That's why love is so heartbreaking but still so great.

While Mercedes was singing that last verse, right when I realized what the words meant, I also imagined myself saying (or haha singing) that to him. It was like I've had those same unacknowledged thoughts at the back of my head, they've been there all along, but it's only now that I discovered those words and they fit perfectly with how I feel towards him. I believe things are not meant to be and I am ready to let go. I sincerely hope that things will turn out for the best for him, but nevertheless, inspite of my non-success in this part of my life, I somehow think that


And I will always love you.
I will always love you.
I will always love you.
I will always love you.
I will always love you.
I, I will always love you

You, darling, I love you.
Ooh, I'll always, I'll always love you



Rest in peace, Whitney.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...