Wednesday, January 2, 2013

something about sleep

                               
It's really different when I go back home. For one, it was my first time to once again spend an entire week there. For most of the past nine years, I've been living here in QC, going home to Dagupan only during sembreaks, and then when I was working, when there were holidays. This time around, with the holidays falling on a Monday and a Tuesday, it was more economical to just take a whole week leave, instead of going home starting on Friday, coming back on Wednesday to work and then leave again on Friday for the next round of festivities. That, and the idea that I really needed to rest after that school-work combo (with an 8:30 am class routine) I've been doing for some weeks now. And so I got to spend both Christmas and New Year's Eve at home, unlike recent years.

There must be something about home and the habits and consciousness I've formed living there for most of my first 17 years. I didn't think I'd slip so easily into having an almost normal sleep pattern, i.e. sleeping at night, latest at midnight and then waking up, no matter what, the next day at 7. I guess it was the length of time I was staying that brought me back to that previous state. It wasn't like that when I'd go home before for just 2 or 3 days. This after being used to waking up at 10 am onwards for two years now. Surprising. There was even a day when I slept at 4 am because I slept the afternoon before. But since it was Sunday, I still woke up at 7 am that morning. Then we went to church, baked cookies after lunch, tried out a recipe for mojos (which turned into potato chips) and then had my hair dyed by my sister. Was I running on adrenaline then? Maybe. Still slept at midnight that night and still woke up at 7 the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...