Wednesday, July 18, 2012

colors and the Italian football clubs

Learning languages is such an eye-opener. Like last week, after we did an exercise on adjectives in my basic Italian class, it dawned on me that the nicknames for the Italian football clubs were so simple - they were based on the club's colors! Like Bianconeri are for Juventus' black (neri) and white (bianco) stripes. And AC Milan are called the Rossoneri because they're black and red (rossi). I realized this when I saw one of my teammates wearing the Italian national team's jersey with the words gli azzurri on the collar in training that aftenoon. So yes, it's an articoli determinativi check and now I know they are called like how the other national teams call themselves: the French are called Les Blues, the Spaniards are La Furia Roja, the Dutch are the Oranje and even my school UP are called the Fighting Maroons.

It used to be that when I'm reading Italian club football news, I get confused as to which team the article was  talking about because of all those nicknames. I did get a bit of a handle on them, but soon forgot them. Now, I know what they would be talking about as long as I know the team's jersey colors. Now, the next hurdle would be getting to know their home stadiums. They also like talking about San Siro (this is Juventus' home stadium, right?) and the others, like how iconic the Bernabeu and Camp Nou are in Spain and all over the world.

Calcio. Miss playing and watching it.

Yes we got AC Milan's rossoneri stripes but the ones in white and black are from Udinese Calcio
edit: 7/29/2012:

I'm wondering what celeste  means now. Is it something similar to skyblue? The Uruguayan and Argentinian national teams both have the words in their nicknames, one only known as Celeste while the other one is known as Albiceleste. To the Spanish-English dictionary then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...